The moment your kids come home from school, they throw off their shoes, backpacks and coats, and walk strait to the kitchen for a snack. To make snack-time easier for you in your home, try these moist double chocolate banana muffins that will surely be a favorite.
This treat may look and taste delicious, but don’t let its appearance deceive you. The paired banana-chocolate flavor will not only make your child’s taste-buds sing, but will also make their bodies feel healthy and happy.
The recipe substitutes processed white sugar with honey, and vegetable oil with the healthier alternative of coconut oil. And we can’t forget the bonus serving of fruit from the banana’s and applesauce.
Simply bake the day of, or batch make and store in an airtight container in the pantry or freezer for muffins the entire week.
- 1 egg
- 3 ripe spotty bananas
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup melted refined coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ white flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, then place baking liners in muffin tin and grease.
- While oven preheats, throw the bananas in a bowl and mash with fork. Once mashed to your liking, add eggs, applesauce, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Melt the honey in a small bowl for 15-20 seconds until it glides smoothly into the wet ingredients. Then combine.
- In another bowl, sift together flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Gently fold chocolate chips into muffin batter. Spoon the mixture into muffin tins and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Check if it’s done by inserting a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean, take the muffins out, let cool for two minutes, and place them on rack to cool.
- If you and your children happen to like the taste of coconut, go ahead and use unrefined. It will add more depth to the muffins.
- Use whichever chocolate chips you like. Personally, I like to use a mixture of dark / milk chocolate
- To make certain the muffins have that fluffy moist consistency we all like, be careful not to over-mix.